September 10

Weekend Blog (9/10-9/16)

Parents,

Hope you all are having a nice weekend. I will be out on Monday. My daughter, my husband, and myself have all caught strep throat, which is apparently going around school. Just a few reminders/updates for this week:

• Students should be reading M, T, W, Th for 20 minutes and filling out their reading log/having it signed by parents. Reading logs are checked on Fridays for a homework grade per school policy.
    • Students are allowed to check out one (1) book at a time from MY class library. I use an online check-in/check-out system to keep track. They are allowed to bring the book home, but should be responsible in keeping up with it and keeping it in good condition. Once they return that book, they may check out another.
  • Please send headphones or earbuds to school with your child. This is really important as we begin doing more digital assignments, otherwise it’s very distracting to other students who are trying to concentrate.
  • In the last couple of weeks, students have taken their beginning-of-year iReady assessments for Math and ELA. Students were sent home a report with their ELA results last week.. They are broken down by different areas: phonics, phonological awareness, literature comprehension, informational texts, vocabulary, etc. The iReady report will show you where your child is at  and where they need to be, citing specific areas that need work. IF your iReady report did not make it home with your child, please reach out to me, and I’ll be glad to print out another.
  • Instructions for how to view your child’s online writing journal (Seesaw) were send home with students a couple of weeks ago. If instructions did not make it home with your child, please let me know, and I’ll be glad to print out another for you.
  • Scholastic flyers will go home next week with the class code on it. Everytime you order a book, you earn our classroom books for our library! You can also order online by clicking on the banner below:

Please see below for what we will be doing in 4th and 5th grade this week.

What is my child learning this week?

4th Grade will have vocabulary words this week with a test on Friday (see words below). On Monday, we will have a historical lesson on 9/11 and complete a reflective writing assignment. We will learn about topic sentences, conclusion sentences, and supporting sentences within a paragraph. We will begin reading our next personal narrative in our readers – “Food from the Outside” and then will begin drafting our own mini personal narratives. We will continue to work on iReady, NewsELA, and NoRedInk digitally.

5th Grade and 4/5 Blended Class will have vocabulary words this week with a test on Friday (see words below). On Monday, we will have a historical 9/11 lesson and complete a reflective writing assignment. We will discuss the characteristics of a conclusion paragraph.  Students will then draft their conclusion paragraphs for their personal narratives and type them up in Google docs. We will finish reading and discussing “Reverend Abbott and Those Bloodshot Eyes.”  We will continue to work on iReady, NewsELA, and NoRedInk digitally.

Specials Schedule for 9/11-9/15:
4th Grade – Music with Mr. O
5th Grade – Art with Mrs. May
4/5 Blend – PE with Mrs. Royse

Important dates:
9/11 (Monday) – 20th Day Celebration – Pelican’s snowballs and popcorn (2:50-3:30)
9/14 (Thursday) – Donuts with grandparents – flyers went home with students on Friday
9/15 (Friday) – Progress reports go home
9/27 (Wednesday) – Early release

Homework for 4th Grade:
Monday, 9/11 – Thursday, 9/14 –  Read for 20 minutes/document in reading log

Homework for 5th Grade and 4/5 Blend: 
Monday, 9/11 – Thursday, 9/14 – Read for 20 minutes/document in reading log

Posted September 10, 2017 by nkeech in category General

1 thoughts on “Weekend Blog (9/10-9/16)

1. Danielle Andrews

Hey Mrs. Keech,
    My name is Danielle Andrews. I’m Jonathan Andrews mother and Donnell Capers god mother. We are having a little problem with them remember if they have homework or if a test or due. So, I want to know if you will contact me by email, phone, or note and telling what’s going because they tell me one thing and your website (thank God for it) tell me otherwise. I’m sorry that you, your husband and daughter are sick, hope you guys feel better. Another thing Jonathan take medicine at when he eats breakfast (which is at home) and again at lunch, so if their is a form that I have to sign and get his therapist to sign I would appreciate it. Thank you for patience.

Reply