June 3

Weekend Blog (Week of 6.5.17)

Parents,

It’s that time – EOGs. While we all know the EOG does not measure a student’s intelligence or abililty and while it may not be how we all prefer to assess students, they still are incredibly important. Testing will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (Science — not for 3rd or 4th grade), and Friday (EOG make-ups). I wanted to provide breakfast on Tuesday and Wednesday to students, but I found out we are unable to do so because we aren’t part of the lunch program. It is incredibly important students are at school on time those days. We will take attendance at 8:05 and begin testing shortly after. Some tips and reminders for these days:

• Make sure students eat a well-balanced breakfast (nothing too greasy since we don’t want stomach ache)
  • Make sure students get good rest the night before
  • Make sure students are wearing comfortable clothing appropriate for the weather. I have seen many children wearing sweaters and long-sleeved shirts. If they are comfortable with that, that’s fine, but we definitely don’t want them to get too hot. Preferably something that can be removed (like a pullover or sweatshirt) if they do get warm.
  • Most importantly, remind students how smart and capable they are. Sometimes it’s easy to forget this with all the anxiety around testing. I know what they can do and you know what they can do — we just need to remind them so they believe it themselves! I will have a handwritten note to give each student on Monday as well as some small end-of-the-year gifts, but we want them to feel that confidence from everyone at home and at school. The more confidence, the better!

On Monday, 4th grade will have an end-of-the-year party during lunch. I have had parents volunteer to bring chips and donuts or cookies (thank you!). If you feel inclined to bring something during lunch, please let me know. I have plates, and I plan to pick up whatever we are still in need of.

Again, thanks for all you do as parents and volunteers. It really does take a village!

Reminders:
6/6-6/9 (Tuesday – Friday) – EOGs/Early release at 1 pm (after school is open until 6 pm)
6/13 – Field Day for grades 3-6; last day of afterschool (6/12 – Field Day for grades K-2).
6/14 – last day of school/end of year celebrations – 1 pm dismissal – no afterschool
-Yearbooks ($20) can be purchased by going to strawbridge.net and using the school code 112118. Or you can make checks payable to Strawbridge and pay for at the front office. We will have a day where students will be able to have yearbooks signed by staff and peers.

Have a great week!

Posted June 3, 2017 by nkeech in category 4th Grade Class Happenings, General